NOTICE OF INTENTION TO CIRCULATE RECALL PETITION
TO THE HONORABLE CHI CHARLIE NGUYEN: Pursuant to Section 11020, California Elections Code, the undersigned registered qualified voters of Westminster, in the State of California, hereby give notice that we are the proponents of a recall petition and that we intend to seek your recall and removal from the office of City Council, in Westminster, California, and to demand election of a successor in that office.
The grounds for the proposed recall are as follows:
- Council member Chi Charlie Nguyen operates as if he is above the law as a member of a City Council repeatedly accused of corruption, nepotism and favoritism.
- As a Council member, Nguyen has engaged in nepotism by joining another Councilmember in appointing each other’s children to City commissions and not disclosing this to the public.
- Nguyen has refused to adopt a strong Code of Conduct for City Officials that denounces ethical violations like nepotism and abuse of public resources.
- Nguyen and his allies passed a new rule giving themselves complete power over City Council agendas, silencing opponents by barring other council members from adding items for discussion.
- Nguyen placed the City at risk for an Age Discrimination lawsuit for his failure to contact Applicants for Planning Commissioner who indicated they are Retired or Semi-Retired. Councilman Nguyen stated on video he wanted someone “young and energetic” for that appointment.